kzstevens Side Handle Gusset Tote
This little bag is so simple, yet so perfect! We taught this little project as a class and it was so much fun. It was originally published as the Japanese Style Linen Tote in Making Magazine No. 6 (Black and White) which is no longer available, so we we are so happy to have it but in stock and look forward to teaching the class again soon.
Clean lines and minimalist hand-stitched details make this the perfect tote to carry around your latest embroidery or knitting project, or for a quick trip to the farmers market. The deep gusset makes it super roomy and the side mounted handles cleverly close up the top while you are toting it around. There is an added side pocket to stash your essentials. Dig through your stash, gather your most treasured scraps and have some fun!
Finished Measurements: 13" [33 cm] wide x 10" [25.4 cm] tall x 5" [12.7 cm] deep
Exterior: medium or heavy weight linen, cotton twill, denim, or canvas duck. (you can also use quilt weight cotton or linen, but you will need to interface it for sturdiness)
Lining: medium or lightweight linen or quilting cotton.
Requirements based on 44” wide fabric.
• Side handle Gusset Tote Pattern Piece
• ¾ Yd [61 cm] Exterior Fabric A
• ¼ yd [22.9 cm] Exterior Fabric B
• ¾ yd [61 cm] Lining fabric; medium or lightweight linen or quilting cotton
• Additional 2" - 6" [5 cm to 15 cm] fabric scraps for Boro/Sashiko style patches
• 1 yd [.9 m] fusible woven interfacing; Pellon SF101- 20" [50.1 cm] wide (optional if you are using a heavier exterior fabric)
• ¾ yd [61 cm] of 2" wide [5 cm] cotton webbing